But there are some definite advantages to being on crutches:
- You can use them rather effectively to bat away objects left in your path, such as Lego and doll's houses.
- Your children stop nagging you for food every five seconds, because they know you're currently pretty useless - you can barely go to the toilet on your own, let alone make them endless snacks.
- In fact the children very quickly learn that for anything to happen around here they have to become your slave, and fetch you everything from clean socks, to chocolate, to your next morphine fix.
- And they even bring you croissants in bed, occasionally.
- Crutches also provide hours of entertainment for the kids who love playing with them. When I was little I always dreamed of breaking a leg so that I could have my own crutches.
- You can make the handles look pretty with a huge array of different coloured comfy covers to choose from on eBay.
- You build up serious arm muscle and those bingo wings finally become a thing of the past. No more having to half-heartedly weight-lift baked bean tins once a fortnight.