Thursday 28 April 2011

Wedding wallow

So, Will and Kate are getting married tomorrow.  I do keep wondering how Kate is faring under all the pressure and media frenzy.  I almost went to pieces several times in the lead up to my own wedding, and we only had 150 guests watching in a little unknown village in the middle of nowhere.  So with the world watching (bar my husband) I cannot even begin to imagine how she feels right now.

And with the wedding, of course, comes all the street parties - there are many celebrations going on around us - all of which Tom refuses to go to.  I tried to form a royal wedding ally in Betty and enthusiastically told her that a real life prince was marrying a lovely girl called Kate tomorrow in a huge church, and that the Queen of England would be there too.  I asked her if she would like to watch it with me on the telly.  'Will there be Jaffa Cakes?' she asked. 

Just when I was feeling thoroughly deflated at the prospect of watching the royal wedding with an uninterested and fidgety four year old, while Tom and Dolly were out having a 'wonderful time', the phone rang.  It was my grandmother.  She asked me if I would like to go and watch the wedding with her on her TV.  I wondered whether Tom had put her up to this, but I felt mildly lifted anyway.  'Shall I bring bunting?' I asked.  'No,' she replied. 'I miss Diana too much.'

14 comments:

DC said...

I'll be watching it too Elsie. Even though it goes against my nature I will still want to see what she is wearing. Also, I have been thinking about her today. How she must be feeling. I don't really care about them but I do feel for her.Will she be excited, nervous, worried about the family firm she is entering into, for keeps?

Moomser said...

it's times like this I kind of wished I lived in the UK. Hell, I'll be watching too, all the way in Italy.

Moomser said...

Sorry meant: times like these... I actually can spell.

Vera said...

I want to catch the wedding as well, but no TV, so am hoping to find a live stream on the Internet, and if I do then my daughter in law and me are going to share one headphone between the two of us so it will be a cosy experience! (I live in France, have just found your blog, and enjoy the way in which you write about your family)

Iota said...

Jaffa cakes, darn it!! YES!! HOW on earth could the royals conceive of a wedding without jaffa cakes? She's hit the nail on the head again, that Betty of yours.

sadie said...

Oh I love it, and I can't wait! I love a Royal Wedding.

I keep feeling teary for Kate's Mum. She's losing her daughter to the Royals, because there will never be even the option of having Kate & Wills home for Christmas dinner/Easter etc. No chance, she'll be in Sandringham and Windsor without question. So if I was Kate's mum I'd be really sad today.

And for Wills, his mum should have been there. Can't imagine how he feels about that.

But for Kate, gosh, I don't know how she must be feeling. Can you imagine? The pressure. The drama. The nerves. Lucky she seems like steely girl, she'll be fine. I wish them so much luck.

Anyway.Enjoy the day!

xx

Magento Themes said...

This is really great blog.. I'm very interested to see this kind of Royal Wedding.. Nowadays this kind of Royal Weddings are like fashion. Anyway this is nice to see and enjoy the every moments. Thanks for sharing this nice blog.

I'm So Fancy said...

Well, I could come by. But I need an absolute on the jaffa cakes first. :-)

Anonymous said...

Have fun watching the wedding with your granny! ;-)

Maybe on some point (provided there really _are_ jaffa cakes ^^) Betty will finally condescent to getting at least a little excited too as soon as she gets sight of all the festivities going on around all these nicely dressed people.... :-)

Have a great day & a fabulous weekend!

Sinikka

Dianne x said...

I must confess I have had no interest in the wedding till now. I think it was because I thought so much of Diana (my loft is busting with Diana memorabilia). I put the tv on and I must admit I am glued but I am still sad that Diana is not around to watch this.

Dianne X

mum in meltdown said...

I'm definitely watching and loving it. Managed to get my 2 boys into it as well!!! Sad thet his mum isn't there for him but i'm sure it will be a fab day. Off to get my jaffa cakes for my cuppa!! x

Unknown said...

Will there be jaffa cakes?? A girl after my own heart!

Lucia said...

Aw, poignant words from your grandmother.
Jaffa cakes are indeed essential.

Elsie Button said...

many jaffa cakes were consumed... they were my bribe