Tuesday 4 August 2009

Normality and loveliness

I feel things are ‘normal’ and running smoothly again in the Button household. We have emerged from the haze and have adjusted to having a new little baby in our midst, and are nicely in a new routine.

Dolly is so chilled out and will happily gurgle and kick around on her play-mat for hours. And although she is sleeping amazingly well at night, I do miss terribly the early weeks when she would sleep on my chest all night long, curled up and snug.

She is a real mummy’s girl, but also adores a doting Betty, and is slowly warming to Tom! Watching their relationships develop and the little interactions between big and little sister is like nothing else on earth.

I cannot believe how fast the time is going, she is almost 15 weeks old. I'm desperately trying to cling onto these lovely baby days for all they’re worth, as realistically I don’t think we will go for a third (although I am already making noises to Tom about it maybe not being such a bad idea to carry on procreating).

These are very special times.

13 comments:

Tim Atkinson said...

Special indeed! And how's the sleep going?!!

Iota said...

It is lovely to have that extra dimension, the relationship between the siblings. Always makes me think that the first baby's experience of life is less rich than the second baby's, but perhaps that's not right.

Tell Tom that if you went for a third, it might look like Grant Mitchell. That would be something to aim for.

Chic Mama said...

Oh I love that time too- I say five babies in tow. My 'baby' is two now. There will definitely not be anymore, I've done my bit for the human race.
Enjoy, she's still only tiny but I know exactly what you mean. :0)

Mrs P said...

It's a lovely time. EP is 3 months old and just getting to know her big sister. They are so sweet together. Awww!

Louise said...

A lovely post. Continue to enjoy every second!

Beccers said...

Just caught up on some Button action after my hols, really glad you're back and posting. Loving it as always!

Chic Mama said...

I've awarded you the Honest Scrap award. :0)

Leah said...

I wish I'd spent more time revelling in the early baby days (everyone told me to!!) rather than wishing them away - now my daughter's 10 months old, it hurts when I think about how tiny and helpless she was and how I just couldn't wait to get onto the 'next bit'!

Laura McIntyre said...

Very special times, its takes me around the same time to realise that this is a new normal . Dolly sounds like a sweet heart

Mamma Po said...

Ahh, how lovely. It does take a while (for everyone!) to adjust to the Family of 4 logistics. But it sounds like Dolly is a perfect little baby. And you're even getting sleep which makes everything better. You're so lucky - neither of mine even started going through the night 'til they were well over 9 months. Even now it's a rarity (which is why I sound so deranged sometimes).

My recommendation re planning Number 3...Wait 'til the levels of oestrogen in your bloodstream have evened out (ie after you've stopped breast-feeding). I was achingly broody for months and months and used to scare Husband witless about my hankering for another little bundle. Now I've come out of that baby fug and I'm very determined and happy to stick with my gorgeous twosome.

Elsie Button said...

thanks mamma po that sounds like very very sound advice - i too have been scaring tom senseless!

Iota said...

If you can't commit to another baby at this point, perhaps you could commit instead to a meme (less responsibility, doesn't last as long). I've tagged you over at mine.

memoriesdad said...

Hi there! Great post - it's the most amazing time. For me it continues right up until they go to school (my youngest starts school in 2 weeks - and I really don't want to lose her to the 'system'!). As you say, the time goes so incredibly fast, and I really regret not having more of a record of the early years. To try and make up for the fact, a few friends and I have started writing a blog (blog.memorypools.com) about our attempts to create a new online way to capture 'memories' of the early years. Any feedback gratefully received! All the best.